Main Aspects of Job
Lead and participate in teams in the process consulting business line as a technical expert to the global refining industry. Generate process and profit improvement solutions using your technical knowledge, experience, and process modelling skills. Typical projects include Profit Improvement Programs, Strategic Analysis, Operational Excellence, Process Troubleshooting, and Plant Optimization.
You will develop performance improvement recommendations to deliver bottom-line results and facilitate the implementation of those recommendations through written reports and presentations to clients in formal and informal meetings. You must be able to work well as a member of and to lead multi-disciplinary teams, integrating process knowledge and model results to deliver profit improvement solutions.
This role requires a good working understanding of general refinery process operations and economics. Expertise in a particular refining operation, such as Primary Fractionation, Hydroprocessing, Fluidized Catalytic Cracking, Naphtha Processing, Delayed Coking, Residue Processing, etc. is desired.
Using and developing unit simulations is a key part of this role. Because of this, knowledge of simulation tools such as Petro-SIM (or other process simulators) and/or Linear Programming tools is desirable. Working knowledge and experience of enabling technologies required for Digital Transformation such as Digital Twins based on Process Simulation; Machine Learning and other Artificial Intelligence technologies; Data Science, and Visualisation of Process Data is also advantageous.
The post holder will be required to lead a team or work as part of a team, both within the local office and remotely. The candidate must be willing to travel, both internationally and domestically, for periods of 2-3 weeks, as required. Travel time is estimated to be approximately 30% of the time.
Main Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead multi-disciplinary team to deliver innovative solutions
- Manage the delivery of projects to increase client profitability
- Oversee data analysis and reconciliation efforts
- Review and advise on advanced process calculations, such as tray sizing, furnace coking, heat exchanger rating, etc.
- Calibrate Petro-SIM models for individual process units
- Use Petro-SIM models to perform unit and refinery-wide studies
- Perform economic analysis of opportunities (gross margin, simple payback, NPV, IRR, etc.)
- Develop technical proposals
- Assist with client sales visits
- Interface with the Technology department to help in continuous improvement of Petro-SIM and other software tools
- Act as mentor to help develop technical skills within the organization
- BS in Chemical/Process Engineering or equivalent experience
- 15-25 years of experience with refinery operations and refinery economics
- Good organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines within budget and time constraints
- Excellent communication (both written and oral) and interpersonal skills and the ability to deal with colleagues and clients professionally
- Ability to work well in team environment and willingness to assist others
- Ability to display a high level of professionalism towards colleagues and as an ambassador of the company
- Must be a self-starter that demonstrates a flexible approach
- Advanced degrees, professional engineering certificate, and fluency in a second language are pluses.