KBC’s approach was to take the best from existing company practices, incorporate them with the highest industry standards, and then roll-out these new practices across the customer sites to create a new corporate standard. New methodologies were implemented to either complement or replace existing ways of managing reliability and maintenance. These included:
- Risk management, utilizing risk analysis to support efficient and effective decision making
- Routine maintenance planning and scheduling, with enhanced use of CMMS
- Asset policies, developing optimal asset care programs to cover operation, predictive and preventive maintenance
- Defect elimination, covering the systematic analysis of problems to identify root causes and ensure no repeats
- Performance management, to drive a culture of continuous improvement using targeted key performance indicators
The identified benefits of the project across global operations exceeded €250 million per year in profit improvement. This was achieved through the increased utilization of assets and a reduction in maintenance costs of over €100 million.