KBC designed a system that would duplicate the data from the secure systems at high availability while maintaining a secure EP environment. The system included backup and recovery, virus scanning, historian, interface node, and the physical network infrastructure for the EP system to act a standalone network. The technology solution included:
- Strict, audited and controlled access to the development environment to maintain a system with a high level of cyber integrity
- Redundancy in the overall design to ensure the system would meet the 99.99% availability requirements
- Reduction in physical size of the solution by using virtual servers and storage arrays
The system was put through rigorous testing and documented with detailed procedures to meet applicable industry standards. In total, 12 individual systems were built and securely shipped to their respective locations. KBC teams then arrived onsite to complete the facility install and complete onsite testing.
The EP information was provided to the EP system in a manner that met required availability and cyber requirements. All 12 systems were installed, tested, and commissioned prior to the due date. All systems passed inspection and cyber security reviews by a rigorous panel of experts. Graphics with complex logic for each facility were converted and procedurally tested. Load testing to ensure system capacity was designed, documented, and completed. The final numbers were:
- 12 total systems completed
- 36 physical servers configured
- 111 virtual servers instantiated
- 600 complex schematics converted from antiquated systems and tested
Meeting the federal requirements for EP system availability and cyber security was critical to allow the plants to maintain their permit to operate.
Our experts say
"Having the expertise to complete such an intricate product was key. Not only did we use our core skills with the process historian, but we also exercised our IT knowledge combined with an understanding of the nuclear power regulatory environment to bring a completed system of high integrity to the client.”
--- Lisa Williams, Manager, US Operations, IT & IIoT Services - USA, KBC