Main Aspects of Job
Work as part of a team in the process consulting business line as a technical expert to the global refining industry. Generate process and profit improvement solutions using your technical knowledge, experience, and process modelling skills. Typical projects include Profit Improvement Programs, Strategic Analysis, Operational Excellence, Process Troubleshooting, and Plant Optimization.
You will develop performance improvement recommendations to deliver bottom-line results and facilitate the implementation of those recommendations through written reports and presentations to clients in formal and informal meetings. You must be able to work well as a member of a multi-disciplinary team, integrating process knowledge and model results to deliver profit improvement solutions.
This role requires a good base level understanding of general refinery process operations. Expertise in a particular refining operation, such as Primary Fractionation, Hydroprocessing, Fluidized Catalytic Cracking, Naphtha Processing, Delayed Coking, Residue Processing, etc. would be advantageous.
Using and developing unit simulations is a key part of this role. Because of this, knowledge of simulation tools such as Petro-SIM (or other process simulators) and/or Linear Programming tools is desirable. Working knowledge and experience of enabling technologies required for Digital Transformation such as Digital Twins based on Process Simulation; Machine Learning and other Artificial Intelligence technologies; Data Science, and Visualisation of Process Data is also advantageous.
The post holder will be required to work as part of a team, both within the local office and remotely, and potentially to lead teams for smaller projects. The candidate must be willing to travel, both internationally and domestically, for periods of 2-3 weeks, as required. Travel time is estimated to be approximately 30% of the time.
Main Roles and Responsibilities
- Work within a multi-disciplinary team to deliver innovative solutions
- Lead data collection, reconciliation, and analysis
- Execute/review process calculations – such as tray sizing, furnace coking, heat exchanger rating, etc.
- Calibrate Petro-SIM models for individual process units
- Use Petro-SIM models to perform unit and refinery-wide studies
- Perform economic analysis of opportunities (gross margin, simple payback, NPV, IRR, etc.)
- Supervise team for smaller projects
- Assist in technical proposal preparation
- Assist with client sales visits
- Interface with the Technology department to help in continuous improvement of Petro-SIM and other software tools
- BS in Chemical/Process Engineering or equivalent experience
- 7-20 years of experience with refinery operations and refinery economics
- Good organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines within budget and time constraints
- Excellent communication (both written and oral) and interpersonal skills and the ability to deal with colleagues and clients professionally
- Ability to work well in team environment under supervision and willingness to assist others
- Ability to display a high level of professionalism towards colleagues and as an ambassador of the company
- Must be a self-starter that demonstrates a flexible approach
- Advanced degrees, professional engineering certificate, and fluency in a second language are pluses