Main Aspects of Job:
- To contribute to the sustainment of a first-class consulting organisation with a balanced project portfolio within your remit.
- To leverage the company’s resources within the consulting practice to contribute making KBC a key and a differentiating company in the hydrocarbon processing industry.
- To lead larger projects, both internal and client projects.
- To have a willingness to travel as and when required – mainly on an international basis (with some domestic travel).
Main Roles and Responsibilities:
The expectations associated with a Principal Consultant are as follows:
- Recognised by senior-level executives, who routinely and proactively seek the advice of KBC, as a professional providing valuable advice in setting strategy and solving problems
- Access to the strategic, process engineering, and planning departments of a client (executive suite, strategy, business development)
- Understand the broad macro-economic issues impacting the client’s markets and is able to speak articulately with the client about these issues. Relates economic performance to technical performance of assets
- Proactively provides perspectives to assist the client in achieving their strategic objectives
- Build a solid business relationship with mutual respect with peers and clients
- Understands the breadth of KBC services; helps design solutions and avoids silos
- Grows the account (s) for the long-term
- Act as a role model for using company systems, managing projects and conducting business
As a developer of business:
The expectations of a Principal Consultant in the KBC organisation are as follows:
- Ability to provide a perspective around the clients’ business/industry.
- Ability to uncover clients’ aspirations and afflictions.
- Ability to quantify and paint the “so what?” picture (“So what if aspirations are/are not met?”, “So what if affliction not cured?” – quantify the impact of not acting).
- Helping potential clients to understand exactly what they get when they work with KBC, and then communicating this benefit to other people involved in the buying decision.
- Create a new reality that will be the best for your client, given the client’s specific aspirations and afflictions and the impact of doing (or not doing) something about them.
Principal Consultant as a Project Manager:
- Effectively manage projects (seller/doer), which include requesting the required skills in terms of team members, regularly attend client briefings, monitoring and managing actual hours versus budget hours, addresses over-run concerns, and effectively delivers project deliverables to clients.
- Manage and mentor consultants assigned to the project, make contributions in the particular field of subject matter expertise, be conversant and proficient of the tools and models used to direct their direct reports in the use of the tools.
- Maintain consistent, high-level of quality in projects performed.
- Understand the economic drivers of a project.
- Be accountable for client satisfaction.
- Ability to identify and provide advice on business issues (whether in scope or not – big picture).
- Provide and drive recommendations for improvement, document lessons learnt, and complete a client case study at the conclusion of a project.
- Engineering or relevant degree plus business experience (beyond technical).
- Experience of refinery wide operations and refinery economics is essential
- Previous experience of direct day to day operational/ lead process engineering responsibilities on medium to large scale projects
- Has subject matter expertise in one or more hydrocarbon industry process (delayed coking, aromatics, olefins, hydroprocessing, fluidised catalytic cracking,) to be able to converse credibly and with depth.
- Good organisational skills and ability to meet deadlines within budget and achievement of planned margins
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (excellent English skills, both written and oral) and the ability to deal with colleagues and clients professionally at all levels within client and company organisation
- Demonstrate ability to build rapport with individuals (including Senior Client executives)
- Ability to work well in team environment under supervision and willingness to assist others
- Proven track record of building effective teams
- Ability to travel on both an international basis and domestic basis
- Previous experience of leading a team – able to set clear objectives and expectations
- Display a high level of professionalism towards colleagues and as an ambassador of the company
- Must be a self-starter that demonstrates a flexible approach
- Fluency in Japanese is preferred