- To contribute to the sustainment of a first-class consulting organisation with a balanced project portfolio within your remit.
- To leverage the company’s resources within the consulting practice to contribute making KBC a key and a differentiating company in the hydrocarbon processing industry.
- To grow the decarbonization consulting practice by sourcing new client activity centered around decarbonization and the energy transition resulting in sustained revenue and contributed profit growth
- To have a willingness to travel as and when required – both on a domestic and international basis.
- To represent KBC externally to expand its reputation and influence in the decarbonization space through presentations and conferences
The expectations associated with a Principal Consultant are as follows:
- Recognised by senior-level executives, who routinely and proactively seek the advice of KBC, as a professional providing valuable advice in setting strategy and solving problems
- Access to the strategic, process engineering, and planning departments of a client (executive suite, strategy, business development)
- Understand the broad macro-economic issues impacting the client’s markets and is able to speak articulately with the client about these issues. Relates economic performance to technical performance of assets
- Understands the unique pressures that Net Zero and the energy transition places on clients and how KBC might uniquely help serve clients in addressing those pressures effectively
- Proactively provides perspectives to assist the client in achieving their strategic objectives
- Build a solid business relationship with mutual respect with peers and clients
- Understands the breadth of KBC services; helps design solutions and avoids silos
- Grows the account (s) for the long-term
- Act as a role model for using company systems, managing projects and conducting business
As a developer of business:
The expectations of a Principal Consultant in the KBC organisation are as follows:
- Ability to provide a perspective around the clients’ business/industry and Net Zero challenges.
- Ability to uncover clients’ aspirations and afflictions.
- Ability to quantify and paint the “so what?” picture (“So what if aspirations are/are not met?”, “So what if affliction not cured?” – quantify the impact of not acting).
- Helping potential clients to understand exactly what they get when they work with KBC, and then communicating this benefit to other people involved in the buying decision.
- Create a new reality that will be the best for your client, given the client’s specific aspirations and afflictions and the impact of doing (or not doing) something about them.
As a Project Manager:
- Effectively manage projects (seller/doer), which include requesting the required skills in terms of team members, regularly attend client briefings, monitoring and managing actual hours versus budget hours, addresses over-run concerns, and effectively delivers project deliverables to clients.
- Manage and mentor consultants assigned to the project, make contributions in the particular field of subject matter expertise, be conversant and proficient of the tools and models used to direct their direct reports in the use of the tools.
- Maintain consistent, high-level of quality in projects performed.
- Understand the economic drivers of a project.
- Understand the drivers of emissions, how they are measured and reported and how they might be mitigated
- Be accountable for client satisfaction.
- Ability to identify and provide advice on business issues (whether in scope or not – big picture).
- Provide and drive recommendations for improvement, document lessons learnt, and complete a client case study at the conclusion of a project.
As a Decarbonization Subject Matter Expert:
- Approve data collection and analysis
- Perform, review & approve emissions and carbon intensities for processes and site in terms of Scopes 1, 2 and 3 sources.
- Develop, review and approve process simulations and emissions modelling
- Develop, review and approve utility system models (Petro-SIM & Visual MESA)
- Perform, review and approve BT Benchmarking and gap analysis
- Lead client PFD reviews
- Carry out, review and approve process and site pinch analysis
- Lead mechanical walkthroughs
- Take lead role in identification and analysis of opportunities
- Develop, review and approve RoadMaps (Strategic Investment Plans)
- Supervise implementation of opportunities and projects
- Advise and review visualisation of on-line data/dashboards
- Have knowledge of cloud technologies
- Have knowledge of renewables including: solar, wind, electrification, green/blue hydrogen, batteries, CCUS and general decarbonisation/CO2 reduction strategies and their application in strategic projects
- Lead client training courses.
- Manages Complexity - Makes sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems. For example, consistently looks at complex issues from many angles; obtains a rich and deep understanding; swiftly cuts to the core issue; skillfully separates root causes from symptoms.
- Cultivates Innovation - Creates new and better ways for the organization to be successful. For example, offers creative ideas, finds unique connections between previously unrelated elements. Actively encourages and supports others' creativity; builds upon and strengthens new solutions in a positive and collaborative manner.
- Situational Adaptability - Adapts approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations. For example, sees even subtle cues to adapt; deploys a wide range of behaviors to stay effective. Exemplifies flexibility and resourcefulness; responds deftly to a variety of challenges and situations.
- Collaborates - Builds partnerships and works collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives. For example, readily involves others to accomplish goals; stays in touch and shares information; discourages "us versus them" thinking; shows appreciation for others' ideas and input.
- Engineering or relevant degree plus 15+ years of business experience (beyond technical).
- Passion for addressing the challenges of climate-change and for meeting the net zero emissions targets.
- Previous experience of direct day to day operational/ lead process engineering responsibilities on medium to large scale projects
- Communicates with client at working level to ensure streamlined execution, that client is clear about what has and is going to be done
- Prepares the KBC in-house data for financial reporting of project performance
- Good organisational skills and ability to meet deadlines within budget and achievement of planned margins
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (excellent English skills, both written and oral) and the ability to deal with colleagues and clients professionally at all levels within client and company organisation
- Demonstrate ability to build rapport with individuals (including Senior Client executives)
- Ability to work well in team environment under supervision and willingness to assist others
- Proven track record of building effective teams
- Ability to travel on both an international basis and domestic basis
- Previous experience of leading a team – able to set clear objectives and expectations
- Display a high level of professionalism towards colleagues and as an ambassador of the company
- Must be a self-starter that demonstrates a flexible approach