About the Company
KBC is part of the Yokogawa Advanced Solutions division and operates as an independent consultancy to the Energy Industry focusing mainly on energy transition projects for the downstream oil industry and petrochemicals. For our Houston office, KBC is looking for an enthusiastic colleague who is passionate about energy transition and decarbonization to support regional and global energy projects.
Working as part of a team in the energy services business line, typical projects include Decarbonization Projects, Strategic Energy Reviews, Best Technology benchmarking and gap analysis, Pinch Analysis, Process and Utility System Simulation and development of energy management systems.
This role requires a base level understanding of process plant unit operations and thermodynamics. Knowledge of simulation tools such as Petro-SIM or HYSIS would be advantageous.
The post holder will be required to work as part of a team - both within the location and remotely. The successful candidate will have a willingness to travel (domestic and international) when required.
- Assist data collection and analysis – for example take client test run data and reconcile the heat and mass balance
- Process engineering calculations such as equipment sizing
- Identification and development of energy saving projects
- Identification of CO2 emission reduction projects
- Simulation modelling in Petro-SIM
- Contribute to the delivery of projects, carrying out specified project activities within defined time and quality parameters and ensuring adherence to the prescribed project management methodology.
- Economic analysis of opportunities (for example payback, NPV and IRR)
- Input to the preparation of reports and presentations for clients
- Execution of R&D tasks
- Implement feasibility testing of proposed solutions under supervision to provide feedback and contribute to validation of the design.
- Gain awareness of and have some involvement in the preparation of proposals and other sales support activities
- Required to present study results to colleagues/clients
- Carry out a range of activities under the guidance of more senior colleagues to support the analysis of information, the specification of the methods, process steps, and the plant, machinery and equipment required to design and continuously improve processes and process systems.
- Develop capabilities by participating in assessment and development planning activities as well as formal and informal training and coaching.
- Develop and maintain an understanding of relevant technology, external regulation, and industry best practices through ongoing education, attending conferences, and reading specialist media.
- Collaborates - Builds partnerships and works collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives. For example, finds many ways to add value to the team; probes to draw out richer input from others; is a valued resource who goes out of the way to help others.
- Cultivates Innovation - Creates new and better ways for the organization to be successful. For example, demonstrates openness to new ideas and ways of looking at things; suggests new and useful ideas or solutions. Learns innovative methods, tools, and technology and applies them to work tasks.
- Manages Complexity - Makes sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems. For example, looks at complex issues from multiple angles; explores issues to uncover underlying issues and root causes; sees the main consequences and implications of different options.
Engineering Technology - Works without supervision and provides technical guidance when required on how to get results using new and advanced engineering technologies.
Engineering Design - Works without supervision and provides technical guidance as needed on executing engineering designs using the appropriate methods, tools, processes and software.
Data Collection and Analysis - Works without supervision and provides technical guidance when required on analyzing data trends for use in reports to help guide decision making.
Engineering Development - Works without supervision and provides technical guidance as needed on achieving engineering development targets using appropriate methods, tools, processes and software.
Engineering Specification - Works without supervision and provides technical guidance when required on producing technical engineering specifications and related materials.
Engineering Testing - Works without supervision and provides technical guidance when required on testing, evaluating and improving engineering outcomes.
Action Planning - Works with guidance (but not constant supervision) to develop appropriate plans or perform necessary actions based on recommendations and requirements.
Engineering Build - Builds engineering solutions with guidance (but not constant supervision).
Engineering Implementation - Works with guidance (but not constant supervision) to implement engineering designs, evaluate outcomes and then make improvements as needed.
Analyze Alternatives and Recommend Solutions - Works with full competence to analyze potential solutions and create recommendations based on the expected benefits, costs, and overall value of the solution for key stakeholders. Typically works without supervision and may provide technical guidance.
Analyze Current State/AS-IS State - Works with full competence to understand business context, needs, rules, and architecture, as well as organizational structure, cultures, capabilities, and processes to document the current state of processes and the business. Typically works without supervision and may provide technical guidance. Analysis skills, Process modeling/mapping.
Define Future State/TO-BE State - Works with full competence to envision and document the future state of processes and products by identifying the solution scope, potential value of the future state, and the changes to the process, products, organization infrastructure, capabilities, and technology necessary to achieve the desired future state. Typically works without supervision and may provide technical guidance.
Customer-Focused Approach - Works without supervision and provides technical guidance when required to orient the seller's organization around delivering to the key needs of their customers. Keeps customer at center of sale, Collaborates with customers, Elevates partner insights, Uses common terminology.
In-Depth Questioning - Works without supervision and provides technical guidance when required to explore the depth and breadth of a problem, draw out the implications of not changing, and help clients self-discover and articulate the value of a solution.
Perform Gap Analysis - Works with full competence to conduct gap analysis between current and future states to identify components of the overall change strategy. Typically works without supervision and may provide technical guidance.
Questions Strategically - Works without supervision and provides technical guidance when required to uncover clients’ explicit needs and/or unforeseen opportunities and challenges. Probes to uncover dissatisfaction, Raises awareness of the client's problem, Probes to uncover and develop needs, Seeks alignment between needs and solutions.
Business Requirements Analysis - Works with guidance (but not constant supervision) to analyze the business requirements that solutions must meet. Determine acceptance and evaluation criteria, Prioritization, Observation, Focus groups, Analysis Skills.
- BEng/ MEng in Chemical/ Process engineering is required
- Familiar with process simulation using commercial software would be desirable
- Good organisational skills and ability to meet deadlines within budget and achievement of planned margins
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (excellent English skills, both written and oral) and the ability to deal with colleagues and clients professionally
- Ability to work well in team environment under supervision and willingness to assist others
- Must be a self-starter that demonstrates a flexible approach
- Display a high level of professionalism towards colleagues and as an ambassador of the company
- Must be committed to continuing professional development (CPD)
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office programs. In particular Word, PowerPoint (templates) and Excel to at least Intermediate level
- Willingness to undertake travel (international and domestic) to visit Clients and other KBC offices for training and project support